Spicy Tortillas - Thepla
Thepla is a flat bread originating from western part of India and is unique because of its spicy flavor. Do not worry if you have a faint stomach as we do not intent to add any chilies or peppers. The spiciness comes from the mix of aromatic flavors that blend-in to make it finger-licking delicious.
We are purposefully staying away from any chilies to make it gut-friendly and also easy for digestion. Also this recipe is grain free / gluten free too. If you are sensitive to grains or are diabetic/pre-diabetic/ insulin resistant, you could still relish this dish.
It can be used as an easy wrap, or can be eaten on its own or with some side chutney. You could also pair it with your favorite veggie or non-veg preparation. Perfect for road trip.
Also ideal for folks who are trying to cut down on excess carbs or trying to mange their weight.
So lets get started.
How to make
Prepping the dough
- In a mixing bowl, blend the blanched almond flour, tapioca starch, ground ginger, coriander, cumin, fenugreek leaves, salt, turmeric and xanthan gum
- Add the extra virgin avocado oil and mix well
- Slowly add the warm unsweetened coconut milk and knead to make a dough
- Let the dough sit for a minute or so before splitting it into 8-10 small balls
Prepping the Tortillas (Theplas)
- Take two parchment paper sheets and place the dough ball between those two sheets.
- Now using a roller, roll the dough on each direction on the sheet
- Now take any round bowl or saucer and use it as a mold to give the tortillas a round shape
- Heat a griddle pan and coat it with some melted ghee
- Place the tortilla and heat it till you see small air bubbles appearing on top.
- Flip it and coat with some slight ghee again and heat till air bubbles start appearing on the top.
- Remove from stove and repeat the process for remaining tortillas.
- Serve warm and store remaining in a glass container.
Before serving cold tortillas warm for 10 seconds in microwave.